Power BI Updates – Desktop
This page highlights the newest Power BI Updates each month across the different parts of the product. You can quickly see what is new and click on the link to see the official Microsoft notes.
The Power BI Desktop is the application where you build reports and models to publish.
- High contrast support for reports
- Donut radius control
- Pie and donut detail labels position control
- Format data labels separately for each measure in a combo chart
- Longer Phone Reports
- Filtering and sorting in data view (modeling)
- Improved local filtering (modeling)
Microsoft Video showing updates – https://youtu.be/4VpGtWSrssE
- Conditional formatting by a different field
- Advanced slicer syncing
- Log axis improvements
- Data label options for funnel chart
- Set line stroke width to zero
- Measure drillthrough
- Q&A Explorer
- Buttons can trigger actions
- Combo Chart line styles
- Improved Sorting for Visualizations
- Numeric slicer
- Update to Linguistic Schema
- New DAX function: Combinevalues()
- New Visualizes
- Overview by CloudScope
- Icon Map by Altius
- Hexbin Scatterplot
Core updates to the reporting features include:
- Multi-select data points across multiple charts
- Sync slicers across multiple pages of your report
- Numeric range slicer improvement – whole number snapping (preview)
- Faster geocoding for Bing maps (web preview)
- Overflow data labels for bar and column charts
- Search the formatting and analytics pane
Power BI Service Updates
The Power BI updates to the service platform are listed below.
The Power BI Service is the online service where you publish apps, reports and dashboards.
- Share and favorite Power BI reports
- OAuth2 and DirectQuery Single Sign-on Support for Azure SQL Database and Data Warehouse
- In-region Auditing
- Announcing general availability of SharePoint Online report web part
- Custom visuals admin control
- Scheduled refresh support for Azure Analysis Services
- January update for On-premises gateway
- Improved hyperlink support on Mobile
On-premise Data Gateway Updates
The Power BI On-premise Data Gateway connects the Power BI cloud service to your on premise data.
- PowerShell commands for managing the on-premises data gateway are now published to the PowerShell Gallery in beta.
- On-premises data gateway administrators can configure their gateways to control the number of mashup engine containers that can run in parallel.
- The on-premises data gateway now includes the January version of the mashup engine
Power BI Report Server
The October release for Report Server includes.
- Support for imported data in Power BI reports
- Ability to view excel workbooks within the web portal. This is done by configuring Office Online Server.
- Support for the new Power BI table and matrix visuals.
- REST API support